Monday, September 10, 2007

Arts Festival

I remember growing up wanting to see the world (heck, seeing the other states would have been great for me). I've been blessed in that regard in that I've been able to visit most of the western states (with the exception of Montana and New Mexico), Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, and Hawaii. I've also been fortunate enough to visit the Philippines for my two year LDS mission. My trip to the Philippines was pivotal in my life because I saw how fortunate I was in America, but I also grew to love a different culture that despite their hardships, keep a good attitude.

But when it comes down to it, I'm a Utah boy. Over the last few years I have developed an appreciation for everything local (culture, food, arts, etc.). Sure we have our share of problems and I'll be the first one to acknowledge them, but Utah is a wonderful place to live. Which leads me to our activity last Friday night and Saturday.

We were fortunate enough to be able to go down to Fillmore (where Micaela was born and raised) and take part in the Old Capitol Arts Festival. For those who don't know where Fillmore is, it's a small down in the center of Utah and at one time was the territorial capital of Utah, hence the name of the Arts Fest. My mother-in-law was actually instrumental in getting the arts fest started. The focus was on the local arts, much of it influenced by the old west (as Fillmore is primarily a farming town). My sister-in-law is an avid quilter and collector of historical quilts, so she had a fascinating display of quilts ranging from the early 1800s to the early 20th century. There was also a black smith, stage coach, Civil War display, and much more. They also had a stage set up under a tent that had performances throughout the day. The highlight concert was "Fire on the Mountain". Honestly, I'd never heard of them, but I guess they're a pretty popular bluegrass band; pretty entertaining.

By far my favorite display was by a local artist very gifted with woodworking: Tim Lockwood. He had on display many fine cabinets, jewelry cases, wood sculptures etc. that he had meticulously crafted. Unfortunately, his prices matched his pieces' perfection. Some year, I'll get me one.

And what would a western arts show be without western food. I was able to get me a very delicious pulled-pork sandwich. Oddly enough, out of all the food vendors, there was even a Chinese food stand (not sure that there was any Chinese influence in Fillmore's history. In fact, I'm not even sure that there are any Chinese in the area today. Oh well...).

We were all able to get something from the event. I got a colorful Trivit, Micaela got a "Families are Forever" sign, we got Eliza an 'Eliza' sign, and Hannah got a wood-crafted toy rocking horse.

It was a good weekend for all of us. In fact Hannah had a really hard time coming home. Wish all of our weekends were like that.

1 comment:

Micaela L. Hess said...

I'm so glad you liked it. I had a really good time, too. We should make it a annual tradition to go to it. :) Hey, do you remember your first time at the Arts' Festival? Was that when Pres. Hinkley came and spoke? Anyway, that's also when Meagan got so mad at me for not wearing a seatbelt when I drove her car 1/2 block. That was interesting.