I just completed my drill weekend for September. I'm in the Navy Reserve and drill here in Utah. I know... "Navy in Utah?". That's just the way it is.
I never was active duty. I was recruited here in Utah and have never been on a ship; I haven't had a true navy experience, I guess.
This wasn't my best drill weekend. We have a new chief who is very much into the military side of the navy. Sometimes, I feel like I'm back at boot camp. He seems to think he needs to militarize use, even though many of us have been in at least three years. I've been in five years and have a year left until I go IRR (YES!!!!).
I mean... what is it with many chiefs in the navy? Do they think that khaki uniform makes them that much better than the white hats? Are they that much better than a PO1 (where the chief is an E7 and the PO1 is an E6)? I don't think so. An example is I had sent an e-mail to our ops chief (who I actually like) and cced our CO (which has been something our COs in the past have requested). I may have skipped the chain of command by not contacting my LPO first, but it was an item that needed to be taken care of ASAP.
This other chief got upset with me because... "I'm not supposed to cc the CO on anything unless it's urgent and needs immediate action". Though I disagreed with him in principle, I agreed to make that my new SOP in the future. The thing that bugged me was he lectured me THREE different times on the matter. I'm not stupid... I got it the first time. That wasn't the only thing that he got after me for, but I won't get into that.
I swear, many of these chiefs are just on a power trip. They think they're gods. Whatever. This is one of many reasons (not to mention that the navy is THE worst bureaucracy that I have personally dealt with) I will NOT re-up with the Navy.
In addition, I failed my weight portion for my PRT, despite the fact that I work out much more than I did when I first joined. This is another big reason I'm getting out. I struggle with the PRT and dread it each time.
It hasn't all been bad. I've made some really good friends; in fact my best friend I've had in a long time is in my unit. I've also been more conscious about my eating habits and physical fitness. It has also taught me to be more assertive (because heavens knows, you need to be in this organization that "looks out for its sailors").
I'm sorry to those of you who've had a different experience than I have and think I'm in left field. Maybe serving on a ship is a better experience (less politics); I don't know. Just keep in mind, this is one man's experience and hence, one man's opinion.
Monday, September 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment