Sunday, May 25, 2008

Home Remodel

To all my adoring fans, I'm sorry that it's been over a week since I've updated this, but here's another update.

Chris, the contractor we hired to finish our pantry, finished what we contracted him to do. Unfortunately, we still had to do the trim and throw in a rug to finish up. He did a fairly good job. We just had him sheet rock, paint, and put up the shelving. On Saturday, I measured, bought the trim, and installed it. It looks a lot better, but the door was hung crooked by none other than Michael, the drunk contractor. His craftsmanship is sub-par for a professional; he also did the fascia and trim wrong on the front of our house and it didn't solve the problem that I hired him to do. I guess I'll call him tomorrow >:(

The weather's been strange for this time of year, quite cool. I'm hoping summer will make a reappearance.

It's depressing the think about getting out on a trip with gas prices skyrocketing. I only hope they never reach $5 a gallon.

Our neighbors to the north of us don't like us. We only did three minor things to make them mad at us. First, we don't have a driveway so we have to park on the street. They, on the other hand, have quite a large driveway but only like to park one care in there. In the past, they've parked their car in front of our house. One day I got tired of it so I asked them to not park there. They agreed, and for the most part, have complied. The second incident came when their teenage son swore in front of Micaela and one of our girls. Micaela asked him not to swear in front of our girls; since then he hasn't even acknowledged our existence. The third incident occurred when a drunk friend of theirs came to the house at 11:00 pm with his stereo blaring. I asked them to turn it down; don't know if that also offended them. Since those incidents, no matter how nice we are or what we do (we've said 'hi', taken them cookies, etc.) we can't make it off their black list. They really seem bothered that they can't park in front of our house (despite the fact we don't have a driveway and they do). They're Mexican and I only bring that up for one reason: can anyone explain their culture to me to help me understand what it was that we did wrong? If they're like Filipinos, being direct is definitely a 'no-no', in which case we should have a used an intermediary. Whatever the case may be, they certainly don't like us.

Next week is Hannah's fourth birthday and we'll probably be going to Liberty Park for an informal party. Anyway, that's all for now.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I can't believe Hannah is going to be 4, holy cow time flies.
I am sorry to hear about your neighbors, luckily all of ours are 60 + years old so they are really kind and mostly keep to themselves.
I hate remodeling, it seems there is always something looming over your head to get done and it just never ends. At the same time I love to see what a change it makes when it's done.